Subscribe
Register | Log in

Ford Ranger Limp Mode

Return to: Vehicles & Technical

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• AnonymousInactive

I’m looking for advice.

I have a Ford Ranger 2.2lt 4×2 (2013 model with 45000km) that goes into limp mode every time I go on the open road. After about 100km of constant speed of 120km/h it stars…sometimes sooner like yesterday within the first 2km of highway…limp mode.

The dealership has now replaced my Inter-cooler, reprogrammed the software and yesterday replaced the Turbo since the Turbos sensor showed a fault.

The dealership said the can do a full diagnostic, but it will cost me R70000.00, and since they claim everything from my warranty they are not really interested since they make their money from the service.

Any advice?

• Sunfox
    Sunfox
    Sunfox on

Hi there, not sure if this info can help but I had the same problem on my 2.5 VW transporter 4motion, the remedy was to add 500ml of Sasol two stroke oil to every fill up.
    The oil apparently prevents a carbon build up on turbo as when this happens the computer shut it down to limp mode. Since using it no more problem. Apparently Sasol is the only 2 stroke oil that works.

Manny De Freitas
    Manny De Freitas
    Manny De Freitas on

2SO is unproven snake oil. I would not put it in a CRD motor.

Manny De Freitas
    Manny De Freitas
    Manny De Freitas on

I’m also curious to learn how the 2SO added to the diesel lubricates the turbo?

Webster Mubako
    Webster Mubako
    Webster Mubako on

Hi Beast

Just to find out if you found what was the problem with your bakkie.

I also have a 2012 model which is showing a power train light if I drive around 120km/hr. It then looses power.

Tnx

Ian Glass
    Ian Glass
    Ian Glass on

Not sure if you have checked the pipe from the Intercooler to the Inlet manifold. These pipes grow in diameter when the turbo boosts and shrink back down in diameter when turbo goes off boost. Due to this these pipes sometimes split lenghtwise and usually on the underside where you can’t see the split. This generates the gear sign (low boost pressure) on the dash and if ignored the ECU may put the motor into limp mode. The pipe from Turbo to Intercooler can also suffer from the same type of failure!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.