Subscribe
Register | Log in

Kilarney , Shongweni

Return to: Trails & Destinations

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Ranger09
    Ranger09Member

Spent the day testing out the bakkie at Killarney on the long weekend. found myself pretty impressed really used the skills i learnt at StoneyRidge 4×4 Academy to the test ( Thanks John) and the place was incredible to test it to its limits.

A word of advice though, do NOT follow the gps co-ords.

Took my stock 2009 Ranger through what i assumed was the route to the entrance of Killarney only to find out once we scraped , bumped, jacked, dug and crawled our way up, down and around to the rear of the camp site that the way we took was actually Nightmare Creek according to Estelle. We opted not to go back up that way and Estelle was equally shocked that we didnt damage the bakkie on the way down !!!!

Adequately named>>> it was a hair raising ordeal to say the least. And in a Stock 2009 Ford Ranger 4×4 i was thoroughly impressed with its performance (thats where the Stoney Ridge training came in handy)

Once we arrived it felt as if we’d done our offroading for the day. Covered in mud from digging out the back tyres to get the sand tracks in and negotiating cliffs and hangovers so we dont get hung up in the middle of no where. To walking most of the way to read to track. It was incredibly entertaining and scary at the same time . Unfortunately the fact that we thought we were lost in the valley no one was interested in taking any pics. but we did manage to get a few at Killarney.

The only trouble we had there was one slippery rock and a bad track i that i followed and that was enough to get my rear diff hung up on a rock in the middle of a little river.

Thanks to Neel who came to the rescue and towed me out and ready for action

Rest of the day was pretty great and would definately advise and keen off road enthusiast to check it out for a bit off fun.

Will attach some pics soon

Cheers

• FRITZ XJ
    FRITZ XJ
    FRITZ XJ on

AT LEAST IT WAS FUN? LIKE YOUR STORY .

George Brittnell
    georgeb
    georgeb on

Have you deflated those Bridgestones before entering low range country?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.