Click to Subscribe
Register | Log in

Lesotho / Central Drakensberg area

Return to: Trails & Destinations

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• AnonymousInactive

I am considering an outing to the Lesotho / Central Drakensberg area towards spring time – it’s been years since I did the Sani Pass! Are there any other trails that could be recommended in that area? I don’t mind putting a few extra miles on the clock to make it a worthwhile adventure!

• SA4x4
    SA4x4
    SA4x4 on

Hi Toy-toyi. If you are willing to drive around the bend to the Eastern Free State, we feature two trails on the website in Moolmanshoek. Click on the links below:

Moolmanshoek, Visierskerf

Hope that helps!

Anonymous
    Anonymous on

I would recommend the Maliba Lodge Trail too – I see there is an article at this link: https://www.sa4x4.co.za/maliba-lodge-4×4-trail/

Ranger09
    Ranger09
    Ranger09 on

Hi , im not too sure about drakensburg area but if u interested in a quick detour on your way to drakensburg, Stoney Ridge off road academy near Weenen is great for a day trip or camping out for the weekend. Variety of trials to try out.

http://stoneyridge.co.za/

Anonymous
    Anonymous on

Thanks for this Ranger09. I checked out the website – it looks great. I used to travel that Colenso – Greytown road often as a student from Jo’burg sneaking on fishing weekends to Blythedale in the ealry 90’s – brought back even more memories now.

Ranger09
    Ranger09
    Ranger09 on

No problem Toy-toyi, been there for the offroad training over a weekend in january and learnt a hell of a lot under the guidance of John. The place is beautiful. You wont regret it . ill post up some pics an find out how to 🙂

Ranger09
    Ranger09
    Ranger09 on

Heres some pics of Stoney Ridge

David Dyson
    Dyson
    Dyson on

We (my wife and I) and another couple did a trip in 2012 in march. It was a weekend trip leaving Durban Friday mid morning to clarens for lunch and onto Fouriesberg for dinner and B&B. Left early next am for caledon border post on route to katse dam . tarred road to katse and fantastic pass (3000m) got to dam at 1130 and were the only people there, managed to find and pay for a guided tour of dam wall (R10 each) well worth it!! then left katse at 1300hrs onto st james mission- now the fun had begun, tortuous and bumbyroads -took us 6hrs to get there and in the dark!! had a great evening in basic accomm and had precooked the cuury and rice. next morning woke up to another beautiful day and proceeded to sanipass approx 3,5 hrs. then back to durbs . Quite a long second day – my wife started to get grumpy as I hoped we would reach st james mission earlier!! get the b7b to pack a brekkie so you can hit the boderpost at 0700hrs. and fill up in the fouriesberg town. cheers David

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.