Register | Log in
Subscribe

Roof top tents?

Return to: Idle Talk

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Raggy
    Participant

They look cool but wanted to get peoples opinion on using them.

pros / cons / cost / specific types ???

I don’t like the idea of packing up my tent if I want to drive anywhere Should that even be a concern? Are they pretty easy to pack up?

• Profile Photo
    Goddard
    Goddard on

My opinion 🙂

Profile Photo
    Wrangler
    Wrangler on

To Roof Tent or not to Roof Tent, that is definitely the question…

One of my concerns is the 50kg on your roof. For a 3,2L ranger that might be nothing but on a Jimny thats a massive weight. How would this effect the fuel consumption and drivability of the vehicle?

Then comes the point if you pitch a normal tent, it stays on the campsite but when you leave on a trip with a roof tent you have to fold up. Sounds like a pain which I don’t think I would like to endure for early morning drive outs. How much effort is this likely to entail? Will I still get to see the sun rise 🙂

How do guys store their tents when they are not using them?

Is a Roof Tent worth the investment?

Profile Photo
    Len
    Len on

they perfect for one night stay overs but not for long term camping in one place. Whether you want to fork out the money to have both options is up to you but most people have normal tents anyway.

Profile Photo
    Pandy
    Pandy on

they are lekker if you can get into them

20 mins and your sleeping

i was looking at getting one for my trailer :$

Profile Photo
    Dirk
    Dirk on

A roof tent is nice for convenience and storage.

Normal tents take up a lot of space and take a while to set up but you have way more space.

All depending on the trips planned.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Free news, reviews, travel features and more… everything you need to know from the 4x4 and outdoor industry.

preloader