SLUGGISH NAVARA

Return to: Vehicles & Technical

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Andre Kroep
    Participant

I did a sand dune tour in Namibia a year ago and really battled with my Navara. I then took the 2.5 diesel out and put in a 4.0-litre Lexus motor with a 5-speed auto box. I also took off the BF Goodrich 265/70 R16 all-terrains and put on a set of 285/70 R17 Achilles full mud-terrains.

I now have excellent 4×4 capabilities but on pull-away the bakkie seems to battle. Once I am over 2500rpm the going is good. Fuel consumption is about 7.5km/l which I guess is not too bad.

I love doing sand trips, and while the vehicle is not bad, it struggles to gain enough speed for dunes despite the V8 which is well tuned. Now I know it’s my tyres. Should I go back to a 16-inch, and if so, what brand, what size and what type of tyre. I do have a spare set of Cooper tires 265/75 R16s.

• Profile Photo
    Johan Tyres
    Johan Tyres on

The overall tyre diameter on the 285.70 R17 = 830.8 and the 265/75 R16 = 803.9 – so I would revert back to the 16-inch tyres. If you do a lot of sand driving then I would use two-ply tyres – what brand is all up to you.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

Free news, reviews, travel features and more… everything you need to know from the 4x4 and outdoor industry.

preloader