DARE TO DIY

Return to: DIY Projects

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Profile Photo
    Willy Pittner
    Participant

I take my hat off to Marc Nussey for his letter published in the June issue of SA4x4. He has hit the nail on the head. I have sent numerous letters to various mags over the years about the pricing of vehicles and accessories. This became more urgent when I had to reassess my life’s views and expenses when my work contract dried up earlier than expected.

I eventually found a 2006 Toyota Prado at a relatively good price (R200k), after being forced to sell my Land Cruiser 70 Series pick-up.

As Marc mentions, making and installing all the extras yourself does save money, although it may take some time. I fitted most of the extras to my Land Cruiser pick-up myself, apart from things such as a turbo and intercooler. There are some things that should be left to the diesel experts.

I have done one road trip with the Prado using a (borrowed) trailer fitted with a rooftop tent, though admittedly the tent had a room on the side which made it so much more than just a rooftop tent. I was planning to get a roof rack for the Prado, but as I am virtually retired now, funds are not as readily available. (I made my own roof rack for the Cruiser.) Also, my wife prefers the trailer setup, so a roof rack is not urgent. I will definitely make my own drawer system and dualbattery setup.

I have also fitted an Xtron touch screen audio system which uses an SD card, but am struggling to find someone who can supply SA maps for this unit. But, back to Marc and his call for a DIY section – this will be a boon for an already excellent magazine.

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.