Subscribe
Register | Log in

Sugary smell from gearbox

Return to: Vehicles & Technical

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.

• Bladveer
    BladveerParticipant

I have a 2002 Nissan Hardbody SE 4×4 3.2 D. When I drive in 4th Gear at 100kmph os so there is a strange smell like sugar burning that comes into the cabin. It does not seem to happen in any of the other gears.
    Does someone perhaps have an idea what this could be? The engine is normally at running temperature or hot when this happens.

• destination_unknown
    destination_unknown
    destination_unknown on

Sjoe, i think there is going to many theories here.

Besides taking it to a professional mechanic, – i think it could possibly be the clutch plate.

Something is causing friction when you change gears, i would assume that when more revolutions are made this increases friction which in turn creates more heat. ultimately burning some form of rubber coated wire or seal.

Strange how you can be able to distinguish this smell from inside the cab at 100km/h?

are you able to notice this smell while driving at 100km/h, or when you come to a stop.

Also, has your problem occurred out of the blue? or was it fairly recent after a service?

I had a similar problem, but that was caused by my wife when she forgot to let the handbrake down! LOL :silly:

Anonymous
    Anonymous on

Sugar smell? Geez, not sure what that could be, but any burning smell can’t be good. Best have that checked out?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Come chat with us in the forum. Click here to register an account or if you are already registered click here to log in.